How Important Are Regular Oil Changes?
Does it seem like you just had an oil change a few weeks ago? These days the average driver puts more than 1,000 miles on his or her vehicle every month. Most manufacturers recommend an oil change every 3,000 miles. That means you could be making frequent visits to your local Vancouver Auto Repair Shop. But just how important are regular oil changes? Do all cars need an oil change every 3,000 miles? Why do some automakers recommend every 5,000 miles? How bad could it possibly be if you wait longer to get your oil changed?
The Lifeblood of Your Vehicle
The answer is: very bad. Your oil is essentially the lifeblood of your vehicle. Without sufficient, clean oil your engine won’t run properly. It’s the same as your body without enough clean blood. Just as your health would decline if you had dirty blood, the health of your engine will get worse with dirty or insufficient oil. Here’s why regular oil changes are so important.
- Promotes Longer Vehicle Life – the bottom line, regular maintenance, including oil changes, makes your vehicle last longer. When oil gets dirty it starts to create all kinds of problems. It can reduce your vehicle’s power and fuel economy, and it forces your engine to work harder. When an engine is overworked, it will lead to additional problems. And all those problems will put your car out of commission much quicker.
- Keeps Engine Lubricated – your engine is a fine piece of machinery. But it has to have oil for everything to run smoothly. There are a lot of moving parts under the hood and they need lubrication to move properly and efficiently. Without lubrication the built up heat created by all this movement would wear down your vehicle’s engine rapidly, leaving you in need of a new engine.
- Removes Sludge and Particles from Engine – your engine needs to be clean in order to run properly. But over time sludge from dirty oil and engine particles build up. These can leave your engine dirty and decrease it’s efficiency and its lifespan. Clean oil helps remove these particles and sludge, keeping your engine clean. By changing your oil and your filter regularly, you keep your engine at peak condition.
- Keeps Engine Components Cool – as mentioned, all the moving parts under your hood create a lot of heat. Without proper lubrication you get too much friction and that leads to more heat. In order to prevent your engine from overheating you need proper lubrication, which clean oil provides.
- Increases Gas Mileage – everyone wants better gas mileage. But when your engine isn’t properly lubricated, your vehicle will experience increased fuel consumption, and lower gas mileage. That’s one more reason you should get regular oil changes.
Vancouver Auto Repair – Oil Change
No one really likes to take the time to get his or her oil changed. But in reality, it’s one of the simplest auto maintenance services you can get. Plus, it has so many important benefits for your vehicle. It only takes about an hour, or sometimes less. It usually cost less than $50 and it’s typically hassle-free. So why not take the time to get your oil changed every 3,000 miles? Your vehicle will thank you.
Schedule Your Next Oil Change at Hoesly Automotive
If your car, truck, crossover, or SUV is due for an oil change then please bring it to Hoesly Automotive. We’ll get you in and out in no time and back on the road. Plus, our oil change service includes multiple checkpoints to make sure your vehicle is running at optimal health. If you’re in need of any additional maintenance or repairs, our expert technicians will find and diagnose the problem.
So, make your appointment online by clicking here. Or, give us a call today at (360) 558-3747. Make sure your oil changes are up to date and your vehicle’s engine is completely healthy.