Windshield wipers are one of the most helpful and dependable car features, but we seldom think about them until needed. However, they can be very frustrating if they aren't doing their job well. You'll know they need to be replaced when they aren't removing the rain or snow well. They'll also start to skip, streak, and squeak and end up impairing rather than improving visibility. The industry standard time interval to replace windshield wipers is six months to a year. To help prolong the lifespan of your windshield wipers, consider the following tips:
1. Wash your car on a regular basis (or at least your windshield)! Cleaning your windshield will minimize the amount of dirt and debris that clings onto your wiper blades, which causes them to deteriorate quicker.
2. Wipe down your wipers every once in a while. As you continually use them, your wipers blades collect grime. Like anything, if you maintain a schedule routine, it is easier to remember to do it. You can wash the rubber blades and help them stay in good condition.
3. Don't run your windshield wipers on a dry windshield. This tip is common sense because you have no reason to have them on if it's not for rain, snow, or dust.
4. Try to park out of the sun. The sun will dry them out faster.
5. In the winter, take the time to lift your windshield wipers to have them out of the way when parked. You will often wake up to a bed of ice on your windshield in the winter. Try to pick up your windshield when you are scraping the ice off. And if you know it's going to snow, lift the wipers beforehand. This will prevent the rubber from freezing onto the windshield and tearing when you try to use them.
6. Check your windshield wipers regularly. A good time to check and clean your windshield and wipers is when you get gas. Or you can have an auto expert check on them the next time you take your car in for a maintenance service. If you notice that your windshield wipers aren't performing well as they used to, Hoesly Automotive can replace them for you. For any other auto repair, we welcome you to stop by our shop today!